Saturday, February 6, 2010

Dirt to Dinner: The evil squirrels are not so evil anymore

Jan 23, 2010.

I looked towards the front yard, disappointed that all there was near the pea bed was a bundle of bamboo sticks wrapped in grower's cloth. I went inside the house and asked Juli why my greenhouse was dismantled.


Juli said that the wind was so strong that it pushed all the bamboo sticks and growers cloth over the fence and into the sidewalk. She picked them up from the street and put them back in front of the pea bed.


Everyone was drawing something for Mackenzie because this was the last class for Dirt to Dinner. But I drew for just 5 minutes and went out into the front yard to work on my greenhouse.
This time, Daddy suggested that we should first tie the greenhouse to poles that we could stick deep into the ground. We found two metal poles which were exactly the same size we needed. But, we needed two more poles. I found a gigantic metal pole which was 8 feet long. I picked up a large shovel and tried to cut it in half. But, I couldn't cut it. Then, Daddy suggested that we could use blocks of wood for the two additional poles. When we tested the wood block, the results were that the wind could move the wood block. Because the wind could move the wood block, Daddy suggested a different idea. He said that we could use bamboo sticks for the two additional poles. I got two bamboo poles and we stuck them deep in the ground so that the greenhouse will be secure. Then, we asked Juli for some cord. With the cord, we tied the greenhouse to the poles. We wrapped the greenhouse with grower's cloth and secured it with binder clips and clothespins.

Now, the squirrels cannot eat our peas and destroy our soil experiment anymore. Just before we finished building the greenhouse, I realized that the bed wasn't for the soil experiment but it was for the greenhouse. The fertile soil mixed with the non-fertile soil, so the soil experiment couldn't answer the original question it was designed to answer.

Also, in the class, I made fruit leather. I ground apples and pears and added some pieces of pineapples, 2 raspberries and 2 strawberries to give it some flavor. I was forced to put my mixture in a food dehydrator.
It did not make sense to me because it takes two days to make fruit leather with the food dehydrator!

In her blog, Juli wrote, "... and Shreyes kept the evil squirrels from eating the peas." Goodbye, Dirt to Dinner!

2 comments:

  1. I recommend this blog for everyone in my class!

    Teacher 264

    ReplyDelete
  2. www.google.com? No!
    http://shreyesnallan.blogspot.com? Of course!

    ReplyDelete