Sunday, September 27, 2009

Dirt to Dinner: Compost Building and Seed Dispersion







Teachers: Mackenzie and Juli Idleman






We made compost from dried leaves and by chopping a tomato plant. In the second photo, I am sitting next to the tomato plant that I chopped up for obtaining the carbon in the compost (the dried leaves provide nitrogen) I found some green and red tomatoes while cutting the tomato leaves.
In the first photo, I am doing the Seed Olympics. I had to make a pea seed that flies, a pea seed that can fling itself and a pea seed that can float. The photos shows me making one that flies. The pea seed is inside the styrofoam ball.
I also made one that floats with the same white colored ball but without the feathers. I put a pea seed inside a wet balloon and closed it with a rubber band to keep the air from going out. I released the balloon and it shot forward. The rubber band came off because the balloon was wet and slippery. Then, the pea seed fell down and the balloon was out of air and landed on a rosemary plant.

I had fun in this class!







1 comment: